9/12/2008

A Wood Badge Ticket I Didn't Set

As I thought about my tickets I tried to concentrate on three main areas: self-improvement (where it would impact my troop), supporting the local OA chapter (1/3 of my scouts are in it), and improving my troop directly. One area that I didn't think about was in my new (well, sort of new) role as the District Boy Scout Roundtable Commissioner.

I'm kind of sorry I didn't think about creating a ticket about Roundtable. I know a lot of people set goals to go to Roundtable more often, but that's only part of the deal. Roundtables need people to go and get involved. If you're thinking about a ticket, consider doing something for your Roundtable. Take back some of your great Wood Badge training and put it to use.

Wouldn't it be great if a Wood Badger (or is that Gilwellian?) would teach a short class on using EDGE to tech scout skills? How about a short class on facilitating effective Patrol Leader Councils. If you don't teaching a class feels like too much of a stretch, what about leading reflections after the Roundtable to help improve it?

I think there are a lot of reasons to get involved with Roundtable, and a lot of ways to do so. Just pick one and make it a ticket. It will make an impact on you, your troop, and your whole district -- it just doesn't get much better than that.

No comments: