1/11/2007

1 Nephi 5 - Nagging Doubts

It never ceases to bring me to some point of self evaluation when I read 1 Nephi 5:3

3: . . . My mother complained against my father

Here they were, sending their children off on a mission from God, and Sariah (Lehi's wife and the mother of Nephi) is regretting the decision to let them go on such a dangerous errand. I can not count the number of times that I've complained about serving others (at church or otherwise) - but I'm sure that God knows how many times.

After I see the benefits (that everything came together, that the goal was accomplished, that no one was injured, physically or emotionally) then I understand more why we were to do things in a certain way and how great it was from the beginning.

8: And she spake, saying: Now I know of a surety that the Lord hath commanded . . . [us to do this] . . . yea, and I also know of a surety that the Lord hath protected . . . [us in our adventures] . . . and given [us] power whereby [we] could accomplish the thing which the Lord hath commanded [us] And after this manner of language did she speak.
9: And it came to pass that they did rejoice exceedingly, and did offer sacrifice and burnt offerings unto the Lord; and they gave thanks unto the God of Israel.

Why can't I seem to let go of nagging doubts and worry before and during events and regrets afterwards? I would enjoy life better.
Plan something? Yes.
Do my best? Yes.
Worry that it won't be wonderful, safe, and then afterwards loved by all? - - It's just not worth it, it takes all the joy out of it.

Someday, when I'm all grown up, (soon, I hope,) I'll be able to put these things in God's hands and carry on. Then when I read this chapter I'll no longer feel the pains of regret that I complained when there wasn't a reason to.

No comments: